This course is designed for the beginner to intermediate-level Tableau user. It is for anyone who works with data – regardless of technical or analytical background. This course is designed to help you understand the important concepts and techniques used in Tableau to move from simple to complex visualizations and learn how to combine them in interactive dashboards.
At the end of this class, the student will be able to
· Understand the many options for connecting to data
· Understand the Tableau interface / paradigm – components, shelves, data elements, and
· The student will be able to use this knowledge to effectively create the most
· powerful visualizations.
· Create basic calculations including string manipulation, basic arithmetic calculations, custom
· aggregations and ratios, date math, logic statements and quick table calculations
· Able to represent your data using the following visualization types:
· Cross Tab
· Geographic Map
· Page Trails
· Heat Map
· Density Chart
· Scatter Plots
· Pie Chart and Bar Charts
· Small Multiples
· Dual Axis and Combo Charts with different mark types
· Options for drill down and drill across
· Use Trend Lines, Reference Lines and statistical techniques to describe your data
· Understanding how to use group, bin, hierarchy, sort, set and filter options effectively
· Work with the many formatting options to fine tune the presentation of your visualizations
· Understand how and when to Use Measure Name and Measure Value
· Understand how to deal with data changes in your data source such as field addition, deletion or name change
· Understand all of your options for sharing your visualizations with others
· Combine your visualizations into Interactive Dashboards and publish them to the web
· This course will include extensive hands-on activities to re-enforce the skills and knowledge attained.
· Why Tableau? Why Visualization?
· Level Setting – Terminology
· Getting Started – creating some powerful visualizations quickly
· The Tableau Product Line
· Things you should know about Tableau
· Connecting to Data and introduction to data source concepts
· Working with data files versus database servers
· Understanding the Tableau workspace
· Dimensions and Measures
· Using Show Me!
· Tour of Shelves (How shelves and marks work)
· Building Basic Views
· Help Menu and Samples
· Saving and Sharing your work